Thursday, September 29, 2011

Memphis

 
Memphis - Shubert Theatre (Viewed: Summer 2010)
This is another musical I saw last summer. The group I went with loved this show... however, this is definitely not one of my favorites. Although the story was powerful, I just didn't love the lead male character. Honestly, for me, he was just annoying.

However, don't down this musical just because of my opinion - as it did win quite a few 2010 Tony Awards® (Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical, Best Original Score and Best Orchestrations). So it's worth seeing - just not on my top 5 list.

Story Overview
Set in the 1950s, Memphis touches on Rock 'n Roll and racial tension. The lead characters are Huey Calhoun, a white radio disc jockey (DJ), and Felicia Farrell, an African-American [local] singer, who is aimed at making it big. Huey (the part I really loved about the show) is hard pressed on playing African-American rock music, being that it's GOOD. And in doing so (being the era that it is), his choice of music isn't well-received... I won't ruin it any further, but there is a love story and more great music/singing/dancing.

Note via Wikipedia: It is loosely based on Memphis disc jockey Dewey Phillips, one of the first white DJs to play black music in the 1950s.

No comments:

Post a Comment