Monday, October 3, 2011

The Book of Mormon

The Book of Mormon - Eugene O'Neill Theatre (Viewed: August 2011)
BEST.MUSICAL.IN.THE.UNIVERSE! This is THE most sought after ticket on Broadway, and rightfully so (thus the CAPS in my entry sentence). I tried getting a ticket back in February and didn't find a match to my schedule (or more I didn't match to their schedule) until August... and the wait was worth it!

I never thought a musical that cussed so much, talked about AIDS, famine, religion, etc. - and make the songs so catchy that you can't get it out of your head for weeks after - could exist. It's absurd! BUT that is The Book of Mormon.

In raving about this [incredible] show, I feel like I have to be very vague about what I write, so that I do not ruin it for anyone, but what I will "text" is that you never stop laughing, the comedic timing of the actors are so perfect that it keeps you on your toes, and... it's very modern (i.e., topics, vernacular, story line) - which is such a departure from a typical musical.

Therefore....IF YOU DO ANYTHING IN NY, GO SEE THIS MUSICAL! Just bite the bullet and buy the $100+ ticket... you could try the lottery, but trust me, I attempted that twice and the odds of snagging that 1:20 ticket when there are over 300 people around you is pretty slim.... BUT you may be lucky!

The Book of Mormon won nine 2011 Tony Awards®, including Best Musical and Best Book of a Musical.

Story Overview
The Book of Mormon is a religious satire musical [comedy!] by the creators of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt stone, and co-writer of Avenue Q, Robert Lopez. The story centers around two young Mormon missionaries sent to a remote village in northern Uganda, where the [naive] missionaries try to convert the locals, who deal with much bigger issues (e.g., poverty and disease).

No comments:

Post a Comment