Saturday, October 1, 2011

Jerusalem

Jerusalem - The Music Box (Viewed: May 6, 2011)
Smart play. It had great actors, a deep story theme and a beautiful set - nothing simple about it. The lead character, Johnny "Rooster" Byron, was play by Mark Rylance (who won a 2011 Tony Award®), and without a doubt, I was impressed by his intense, drawn out monologues. I was sucked into "Rooster's" stories about the giant, etc.; therefore, Mark Rylance was a genius in his projection of the character.

John Gallagher, Jr. (discussed here) was also incredible - playing that rowdy, young adult type he usually interprets. The "angel" girl character was hard to hear when she was singing in her angelic soprano, and I didn't quite understand how she tied into the end of the storyline. All-in-all (as I babble on like "Rooster" aka speed through this late review), I was neutral. My friend, who highly recommended it, raved on about the play, but I was slightly dissatisfied, although entertained.

I'd say, "Go check it out to see for yourself," but the show closed August 2011.

Story Overview
In a matter of hours-time, Johnny "Rooster" Byron, the lead character - a drunk and wanted man - entertains young friends at his trailer home (while in the process of being evicted). The show is based off British history and cultural practices, and "Jerusalem" is not about religion or the city, but about an unofficial English anthem/poem by William Blake.

No comments:

Post a Comment