Monday, October 3, 2011

Jersey Boys

Jersey Boys - August Wilson Theatre (Viewed: July 2011)
Ahhhh... Jersey Boys. I could praise this musical all day long about how utterly amazing this show is on Broadway. However, first let me begin with the fact that I actually saw this in Chicago two years ago and haaaated the show. I was dreading seeing this again, but had guests in town, so I wanted to give it another chance... You may wonder, "What the heck is wrong with you!" But I must say, "It was Tommy DeVito that ruined it for me!" Let me explain further...

An actor makes the character, right? Well, the actor in the first version I saw really made Tommy DeVito be a lot more of a jerk than how he was played on Broadway. Yes... there is supposed to be a bit of animosity towards the character being that he's kind of a trouble-maker and bad with money, but in the Broadway version, I really loved him - felt more for him and had a better understanding of his friendship with Frankie.

So back to the review: THE.SHOW.IS.INCREDIBLE! The singing/choreography and the emotions tied with the superb acting really drew me in. I wanted to jump out of my seat and dance! I was really pulled into the story about how The Four Seasons became THE FOUR SEASONS.... Overall, it was touching to see connections between the four men and the struggles they went through to reach their success.

Jersey Boys won eight 2005 Tony Awards®, including Best Musical and Best Book of a Musical.

Note: Matt Bogart (Nick Massi) and Dominic Nolfi (Tommy DeVito) signed my Playbill (pictured above). They were sooo nice and charming. Also, funny enough, I saw Joe Pesci at dinner the same night that I saw the show. Love how his younger self makes an appearance... and cool to know he had a hand in adding the last puzzle, Bob Gaudio, to the group.

Story Overview
Jersey Boys breezes through how Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons came to be - coming from nothing and making it to the top because of the unique sounds and individuals in the group. Well-known songs, including “Big Girls Don't Cry,” “Can't Take My Eyes Off You” and “Walk Like A Man” are featured in this musical... so enjoy the feeling of being back in the 1960s - with bonus concert elements throughout the musical.

No comments:

Post a Comment