Monday, October 17, 2011

Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark

Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark - Foxwoods Theatre (Viewed: August 2011)
I've seen this show twice - first time, I was in the mezzanine (awesome when Spidey jumps up to my row); second time, I was in the orchestra (better view of the entire show, obviously)....


However, as I continue to type this review out, I struggle with this because on one hand I love it... on the other hand, I think it's lacking and could have edited out some scenes to make this more of a solid story line. Here's my breakdown:

Why I loved it...
  1. Peter Parker was casted perfectly! Reeve Carney has a gentle, yet strong voice and plays the "geeky" role so well. Green Goblin (Patrick Page) was just as amusing and talented, as was Mary Jane (Jennifer Damiano)
  2. The set. O-M-G, the set. It's truly the most beautiful set I've ever seen. Almost felt 3-D - bold colors - impressive!
  3. Loved (and hated) Arachne (T.V. Carpio). I loved her voice and the beautiful costume (and I'll tell you why I hated Arachne later)
  4. Bono and The Edge... please, they're amazing! The soundtrack is so beautiful with well-written lyrics and the rock theme fits this type of play perfectly
  5. The acrobats... I mean, come on, it's sick! It's fun watching the Spideys fly. BRAVO!
 Why I hated it...
  1. [At least] two scenes could have been removed; thus, cutting down the length of the show
    • "Bullying by Numbers" - we all know the story - he was a nerd, so these characters and song was a waste of my time
    • "Pull the Trigger"  - I didn't understand this whole military scene... could have omitted this entirely
  2. Arachne... ok, so I loved T.V. Carpio; her voice is so melodic and soothing, but similar to my rant above, her character is not necessary to the storyline
  3. THE storyline needed to be smoothed out... I felt it was a bit all over the place with my above reasons
All in all, this isn't a bad review - I swear! I saw it twice, so I liked it the first time - and I do think it's worth seeing! SO GO SEE IT!
    Overview 
    Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark is a rock musical with music and lyrics by Bono and The Edge. The musical is based on the Spider-Man comics, and it tells the story of the origin of the character, his romance with Mary Jane and his battles with the evil Green Goblin.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment